martes, enero 11, 2005

|

Fabrizio Meoni - Dakar

For those not familiar with the Paris - Daker race (well, I think it's just Dakar now), it's like running multiple Baja 1000's over every kind of terrain you can imagine and often hostile locals. It's huge with the Europeans. Really an incredible race, and considered the ultimate off-road race ever.



Well this dude here has won the race twice:


Fabrizio Meoni from Italy. 47 years old, and this was to be his last race before he retires. Now he's dead.

He had a second place working and went down on an easy section. Here's a sad quote from the article:

"Team-mate Jean Brucy said Meoni had said only on Monday how much he was looking forward to his retirement when Dakar-2005 wound up in six days time.
"He said to me 'I've been completely selfish for 10 years and now I'll be able to dedicate myself to my family'," Brucy said"


http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050111/3/8fk6.html

I wasn't a fan or anything, it just is an intriguing story. Sucks, but hey, at least he went down doing something he loved. Better then rotting away. I think I'll do a shot of Cabo Wabo for him tonight.