martes, noviembre 30, 2004

|
Cabo Advice

Alright, I’m a lazy bastard. 8ZERO8 needs to know who, what, where, when about Cabo and I haven’t posted anything for him. Here’s the short version. We will do part two tomorrow.

Q: When to go?
A. Whenever you fucking want. It’s Cabo man! Just go. Here are some guidelines.

December – March: Expensive time for rooms and airfare usually. Lots of East Coast types this time of year, more families, and the usual L.A., San Diego and Phoenix weekend partiers. It’s also whale breeding time, and they are all over the place. You can use them as jumps for Jet Ski’s in the bay. Temps run from the low 60’s to high 70’s.

April – July: Excellent time to go. I’ve experienced some surprisingly cold nights as late as May though. Cold by Cabo standards, so low 60’s. That’s the exception. Highs will get into the 90’s and even break 100. The nights will be in the 70’s or 80’s more often then not. Excellent party time, lots of naked college girls on the bars, rich people with amazing yachts in the bay and marina. Beaches are packed.

August – November: I have been every September or October for years now (except this year). Why? Marlin season! Sammy’s Birthday, the Cabo Wabo Meltdown, Bisbee Black and Blue Tournament, September 17th is Mexican Independence Day and it’s the cheapest time of year to go. Negatives? Not nearly as many women as the rest of the year (still there of course, just not as many), you may be the only gringo in the bar, beach traffic is minimal except for weekends. Number one reason NOT to go in the fall? Hurricane season! Hurricanes only hit Cabo once every two or three years, but it happens, take my word for it. August and September are humid and hot as fuck day and night. Still a buttload of fun and the best time of the year to fish.

Q: Where to stay?
A. Where ever the fuck you want. It’s Cabo!

Actually, people fuck this up all the time. Los Cabos is two totally different towns. The Airport is in San Jose Del Cabo. San Jose is a beautiful little Baja town. Very nice resorts and very quiet. Very boring also. It’s a place to get away from it all with the wife and enjoy the Sea of Cortez. 30 miles down the (only paved) road is Cabo San Lucas. Between the two towns there are maybe 15 resorts. This area is called the corridor. You stay in one of these you stay where you’re at. Few good beaches and nothing to do but golf. The closer you get to Cabo San Lucas, the better it gets. Personally I wouldn’t stay more then 3 or 4 miles from town. It’s too hard to get home when you’re drunk at 4AM.

My recommendation is to make sure your hotel is in CABO SAN LUCAS, not Los Cabos, not San Jose Del Cabo. They will fuck you on this if you’re not careful.

Now, where to sleep in Cabo San Lucas is wide open depending on funds. Out towards the corridor but still in Cabo is Villa Del Palmar, Pueblo Bonito Rose, and Pueblo Bonito Blanco. All are expensive at rack rate ($150 - $400 per night) but you can almost always find deals. I paid $600 for a week in a one bedroom beach view at Del Palmar. Here’s a pic from my room.

Villa Del Palmar View

Here’s a pic from the same room one week later after Hurricane Juliette beat us for four days.

After View Villa Del Palmar

Nice place though, but not very “Mexicany” (I made up that word).

Pueblo Bonito Rose is one of the most expensive in Cabo, and fucking nice. 15th Century tapestries hang in the atrium, exotic birds in cages are out at the pools. A favorite of rich Mexicans from Guadalajara. It’s boring though and overpriced in my opinion.

Pueblo Bonito Blanco is right next door to Rose. It’s not as nice, cheaper and has a better crowd out at the pool.

All three of these places give you a safe swimming beach (Playa Mendano) and nice digs. Short taxi ride to town or a 10 minute walk.

Closer to town and still on the beach are Cabo Villas and Bahia Condos. Been too both but never stayed there. Cabo Villas is very nice and right next to the beach bars which is cool. My next trip I want to crash here.

Bahia Condos is a little trashy but alright. It’s also less then a $100 for a regular room so worth looking into.

Right in the Marina is Plaza Las Glorias and Marina Fiesta. No beach access, but you can take a water taxi or just walk. I like Marina Fiesta, but Drunkard and Radkow weren’t thrilled with it. Decent place for a decent price.

Plaza Las Glorias was the first actually resort in Cabo (not the first hotel of course). It’s touch and go at this place. They have about 3000 rooms and they are all different. It’s a crap shoot. I picked up a timeshare week for $400 for a one bedroom suite so the price is right. It’s also 550 feet from the Cabo Wabo Cantina! I don’t want to recommend it though. The pool sucks ass, and it’s noisy as hell if you get the wrong room. I’ve had great rooms and horrible rooms here (stayed at Las Glorias five times and eight different rooms). It is cool to walk back when you’re drunk and you save taxi money. I talked a chick from Reno into walking back to my room from Cabo Wabo butt naked and did it in the pool. That’s why I love Cabo!

Here are a couple Plaza Glorias pics.

Marina View

Plaza Las Glorias

For those on a total budget you can stay in town cheap. Like $50 -$70. I can’t remember the names of the hotels though. One of them was Cabo Los Flores which is actually a Best Western. It’s $70 a night but right by two kick ass restaurants and walking distance to everything. The rooms are junk but clean. The plus side is it’s got a great pool and nice pool bar. I’ve stayed here twice for a few days waiting for a timeshare to free up and it was alright. We even partied with some people form MTV’s “The Real World” which I don’t watch. It’s the one in Cabo if anybody watches it. Around 2001 or 2002.

Out on the far side of Lands End are a few nice hotels like Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, Solmar Suites, and Finisterra. I hear they are nice, but haven’t been there. I know there are no safe beaches for swimming out on the Pacific side of Cabo and it’s always windy.

Well, I’m drunk on Epsolon Reposado now. Tomorrow we will discuss the good shit about Cabo, where to eat, what to do, and I’m even going to make a drinking schedule for you!

Amo Agave