"I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dryrot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time."
- Jack London
When Kai’s uncle passed on a year or so ago, I sent this to her. It’s been a favorite quote of mine since I was very young, and found it fitting for what she had wrote on the Agave Princess blog about her uncle. She seemed to be very touched by it and wrote this back a few months later:
> Hola Bobbo!
>
> I need your help. Last year, when my uncle passed away, you wrote me the most awesome email. It had a quote that you shared and it really touched my heart. I saved it to a file, but last week, my system crashed and I lost all my "El Bobbo", "Radkow", and "Drunkard" files. I'm trying to rebuild, but I really want that quote back. Can you help me on that one?
>
> Much aloha, Kai
I find this quote even more fitting now that Kai herself has passed on to where the waves are always perfect and so are the Waboritas.
When I read the Cabo Wabo Blog yesterday and got the sad news, I really didn’t know what to think. It’s almost unimaginable for us to not have Kai around. I read her whole blog today and saved it to my hard drive, just to make sure it doesn’t disappear. I remember checking it almost daily to see if it’s been updated. It’s very hard to accept that it will never be updated again, she will never write again, her sense of humor and wit will never be put in to words for our enjoyment.
What an absolutely amazing woman. Her outlook on life, her success in doing a job she wanted to do, her surfing, and of course tequila drinking. As depressing as it was to read it, that helped me realize that she lived life the right way. She enjoyed it.
There are so many people that have never left the country, or even left their state of residence. I think their goal in life is to save money, get old and wait to die. I can’t comprehend it and I don’t think Kai could of either. It’s a huge world out there, and there is more to do and see then could ever be experience in a million life times. There are friends to make and agave to drink. I have to say that from what I knew of her, she almost always did everything she could to take what she could from her time here. Time that sadly ended much sooner then anyone could have expected.
You know, I’m amazed at how upset I am over the loss of someone I never actually met in person. We had exchanged numerous emails, and between all the Cabomasters blogs, commenters and forums, I guess you can get to know someone surprisingly well. I can honestly say that I’m a better person from having known her, and I have a feeling anyone that knew her would say the same thing. That doesn’t make it any less heartbreaking though does it? It’s a very sad day.
Kai, you will be missed by all, and the world will be a lesser place without you, but a much better place having had you for the short while you were with us.
I still owe you a Waborita, and someday I will pay up. Goodbye and thank you Kai, God Bless.
Please say Hello to Mr. London for me.
I shall use my time

<< Home