viernes, agosto 06, 2004

|
History Channel Kicks Ass!

The rare times that I watch TV, it’s basically the Discovery Channel, the History Channel, or various cartoons such as the Family Guy. Why? Well, reality TV sucks and I have better things to do with my life. Such as watching this:

Modern Marvels: Distilleries

Modern Marvels had an episode devoted to distilleries! How fucking cool is that. Here’s what I learned:

Not all whiskeys are alike! There is whiskey, bourbon, scotch, and so on. Very complex aging processes, different ingredients such as corn and rye. It’s still not on par with tequila, but I have a new found reverence for Drunkard and his mash drinking friends. Perhaps I will try some more of this Glennfidich 18 year old shit.

Rum is easy to make with just about any type of glucose product, and molasses came into being as a by-product of Caribbean Rum.

The goal with vodka is to get it as pure as possible. This is probably why I don’t like it much. Well, I don’t dislike it either, it just is. The goal is to have no personality, which is the opposite of tequila and whiskey. They showed some cool high tech euro vodka processes. One of the distillers said they are close to removing the last of the methane and other alcohol by-products. This will mean virtually no hangovers!

That leaves the poor coverage of tequila. They only went to one distillery and this was Souza. The program spoke of how Souza has new processes that extract 25% more tequila from one Weber Agave. Souza has also genetically modified the agave to grow the same exact size every time. When these agave mature, the harvesting will happen by machine, not by Jimador! The most valued job in Mexico (or possibly the entire world) will be no more. These Jedi Knights from south of the border are destined to sell us tee shirts and chiclets somewhere in Baja. The proud ones will take there own lives to save the family honor.

Either way, keep an eye open for this or just spend the $24 on the DVD. The show is worth watching.


Comment Here!