Das United Kingdom
I was reading Ivan's blog regarding the recent Nazi uniform at the party incident in the UK. Ivan makes a good point as to why people can dress up as Lenin and get no heat, yet someone dresses as a Nazi and gets hammered for it. I guess the Soviets never commited genocide, just reeducation.
Interesting take on it, and I agree completely. People have been dressing up as Napoleon, Caesar, Caligula, Satan , Jose Cuervo, and I'm sure somewhere they dress up like Stalin (hmmm, Halloween ideas!). All represent evil (some more then others). The worst part was he dressed as a soldier from the Afrika Korps, which was part of the Wermacht, not the SS. The SS was sworn to Adolph and represented the Nazi's and everything they believed in. The Wermacht were just pretty much German soldiers. You would think he would have the sense to go without the swastika armband.
Obviously 99% of this (outside the Jewish Community of course) was the fact that a British "royal" wore this. 60 years isn't quite long enough, and I'm sure many WW2 vets in the UK were appalled, but I have to say I'm glad he did it.
I read somewhere online that 60% of Brits under 40 don't know about Auschwitz. This is fucking amazing. It's a day trip for these people. I don't think they should jsut make this kid go, they need to make the whole fucking country go. Let them find out that their grandparents weren't jsut fighting for the "Empire" but for some of the largest injustices ever committed in history. So, if this kids misjudgment helps people learn something I'm all for it.
I'm going to do a shot.
Interesting take on it, and I agree completely. People have been dressing up as Napoleon, Caesar, Caligula, Satan , Jose Cuervo, and I'm sure somewhere they dress up like Stalin (hmmm, Halloween ideas!). All represent evil (some more then others). The worst part was he dressed as a soldier from the Afrika Korps, which was part of the Wermacht, not the SS. The SS was sworn to Adolph and represented the Nazi's and everything they believed in. The Wermacht were just pretty much German soldiers. You would think he would have the sense to go without the swastika armband.
Obviously 99% of this (outside the Jewish Community of course) was the fact that a British "royal" wore this. 60 years isn't quite long enough, and I'm sure many WW2 vets in the UK were appalled, but I have to say I'm glad he did it.
I read somewhere online that 60% of Brits under 40 don't know about Auschwitz. This is fucking amazing. It's a day trip for these people. I don't think they should jsut make this kid go, they need to make the whole fucking country go. Let them find out that their grandparents weren't jsut fighting for the "Empire" but for some of the largest injustices ever committed in history. So, if this kids misjudgment helps people learn something I'm all for it.
I'm going to do a shot.

<< Home