sábado, febrero 28, 2004

|
Margaritas – NOW NEW AND IMPROVED!

You experiment long enough and sooner or later you will get the results you’re looking for. In this case, better results. The ongoing search for a Cointreu replacement has led to some interesting drinks, but we have never really found a replacement. Funny thing is I found this when I wasn’t looking. Agave Nectar? I always thought of Tequila as Agave Nectar. Let’s look at a real margarita for a minute:
1. 2 parts Tequila
2. 1 part Cointreu
3. fresh lime
4. Ice
That’s it. Pretty simple ain’t it?

So, the question is how do we remove number 2? We have tried everything, yet it’s always a bit short. When I’m in bars I don’t even bother trying anymore and drink my agave on the rocks with no additional crap added to it. Controy sucks, cheap triple sec sucks, Citronge sucks. Tried OJ but it had a nasty aftertaste that took away from the tequila.

Why do we want to get rid of the Cointreu?
1. It’s expensive at $35 per bottle
2. It’s French

Get to the point bitch I hear you saying. Hear it is. 100% Agave Tequila, Cara Cara Oranges, 100% Agave Nectar and Lime. This is an all natural margarita! It makes you feel good. It’ll fuck you up! You may even fuck a fat bitch!

Let’ get started. First off, what tequila do you start experimenting with?



So many choices! I love having different tequila just for situations like this. Due to it’s standing with the Mexican public and very neutral taste I choose this:



A true Mexican bottle of Don Julio Reposado from the last Cabo San Lucas trip.

Replacing the Cointreu will be a two part system. We need something to sweeten and something to add the slight taste of orange, something like ..uh…let’s see….how ‘bout an orange. The Agave Nectar and Cara Cara Oranges from Venezuela. They are different, so don’t use regular oranges. Readily available at your local store for an additional $0.10 per pound.



The “mix”:

Half of a Cara Cara Orange and one tablespoon of Agave Nectar. Squeezed the orange into a glass and mixed in the nectar. This Agave nectar dissolves pretty quickly which surprised me, since it almost has a honey like consistency to it.

Poured one shot (we are testing here, so don’t give me any shit about “1” shot. You people know how much I can drink) of Don Julio, added one shot of the “mix” to it (on the rocks of course) and added a small splash of key lime. Key lime you say? Yes, it’s all we have left at the moment. I zoned and didn’t get any fresh limes. We will have to label this as a Beta Test.

It looks correct other then the key lime adding a “murky” look it.



It smells perfect. Just like a real margarita.

Let’s do it!

Taste test numero uno:

Wow, I am blown away, this is amazing. Too sweet though and time to mod. But for a first taste test, fuckin’ great! This is a smooth drink!

Taste test number two:


Cut the “mix” down to half a shot to 1 shot of Don Julio. EVEN BETTER! Still a little off. I drank a shot of Casa Noble to clear the senses. I wasn’t sure if they were clear, so I did another shot.

Taste test number three:

Cut the agave nectar down to a teaspoon (from a tablespoon) for half the Cara Cara Orange. I did a shot of Epsolon Blanco to clear the sense again. Still not clear so I did another shot of Casa Noble. I also cut the key lime down. I think the fresh limes will have to be tried soon. They should work much better with this.

This is the best one yet. The tequila is prominent as it should be, the flavor is like a margarita, but much smoother and fresher without overpowering the tequila. The only problem is the lime. Time to move one.

Taste test number four:

Casa Noble time! Same mix of a 2-1 ration with the last mix. Just a splash of the damn key lime (I’m now sick of this shit) for flavor and hit it. Awsome! Better then the Don Julio one. A feeling of bliss is approaching. That good feeling you only get with good tequila when it’s not mixed with shit. Why? This is a health drink! 100% Agave Tequila, Fresh Squeezed South American Oranges and pure Agave Nectar plus some pure lime (even if it is key lime). Nothing to remove you from the tequila experience!

Test Number five:

CABO WABO BABY! I do a test shot before the margarita since I have had a couple “bad” bottles of Wabo lately (all from Costco BTW, someone let me know if this has happened to them). The shit is good, but I do one more to confirm. Same mix ratio with Cabo Wabo! Amazing. Even better then the Casa Noble. I add another half shot to the drink. BEST YET! Except I’m fucked up and don’t see the need for the nectar or orange and start drinking it straight till I pass out.

The results:
This is not only a replacement for Cointreu, it is better in everyway except one. They will NEVER make this for you in a bar. This drink is smoother and better tasting then any triple sec based margarita you will ever have. It lets the true tequila flavor through. I could easily tell which tequila I was drinking in each and every one. A side benefit is that I drank quite a bit yet had NO hangover the next day! I think the nectar and fresh oranges actually help reduce dehydration of the body, as well as adding a huge influx of vitamin C (to go with the Vitamin T) help deliver a long drinking night with no payback the next day. We’ll need to experiment more with the quantities of course, but I’m confident this is the way to enlightenment. So, to all I say: Go fuck yourselves!!!