sábado, marzo 06, 2004

|
BIG NEWS

Drunk Guy has finally posted his new FAQ section!

I even found some reviews online:

....."no modern writer has the pulse of America like the Drunkard"
-NY Times

"This has changed the entire look of the drinking community"
- Seattle Post-intelligencer

"I couldn't stop reading this blog!"
-Dallas Tribune

The Drunk Guy's writings are changing the world for the better, I especially like when he talks about kicking "manbitches" in the face! I know how he feels. I have wanted to do that to Rummy many times"
-Colin Powell


"Drunkard......is just wrong. Why doesn't the government stop him. Freedom of Speech is only for liberals and people who are politically correct"
-SF Chronicle

"Why does he drink so much tekeela frum mecksiko? I dun't think he shuld drink so much and use such harsh langwage on the innernet"
-Paula Young



Drinking quote of the day:

today's Alcoholic Quote of the Day is from one of my favorite authors. He worked in fish canneries in San Francisco when he was only 12, and bought his first sailboat when he was 14. He used it to raid fish traps in the bay. He also traveled the world numerous times. The first when he was only 16 years old via a sealing boat to the arctic. Big time drinker, perhaps a little too much in his later years, since he succumbed to alcohol poisoning at 40. He didn't give up though and experienced more in life then any 50 people combined. Read it a few times, I think the Cabo Masters will appreciate this:

And so I pondered my problem. I should not care to revisit all these fair places of the world except in the fashion I visited them before. Glass in hand! There is a magic in the phrase. It means more than all the words in the dictionary can be made to mean. It is a habit of mind to which I have been trained all my life. It is now part of the stuff that composes me. I like the bubbling play of wit, the chesty laughs, the resonant voices of men, when, glass in hand, they shut the grey world outside and prod their brains with the fun and folly of an accelerated pulse.

No, I decided; I shall take my drink on occasion.


-Jack London


While hunting down the "drink in hand" quote I also ran across this excerpt from "The Cruise of the Sark" which was Jack London's account of his trip to the South Pacific in the early 1900's. He stopped in an undeveloped Hawaii on the way to Tahiti. I thought I would post this for the Agave Princess. Since she is a surfer, Hawaiian, and also speaks of these "Haoles".

The Cruise of the Snark (1913) is a memoir of Jack and Charmian London's 1907-1909 voyage across the Pacific. His descriptions of "surf-riding," which he dubbed a "royal sport," helped introduce it to and popularize it with the mainland. London writes:

"Through the white crest of a breaker suddenly appears a dark figure, erect, a man-fish or a sea-god, on the very forward face of the crest where the top falls over and down, driving in toward shore, buried to his loins in smoking spray, caught up by the sea and flung landward, bodily, a quarter of a mile. It is a Haole on a surf-board. And I know that when I have finished these lines I shall be out in that riot of colour and pounding surf, trying to bit those breakers even as he, and failing as he never failed, but living life as the best of us may live it."


You know he was lit when he wrote that, like Hemminway, all the great American authors knew how to put it away!