miércoles, enero 26, 2005

|

Arizona, White Trash, and Cabo Wabo Anejo

I finally found time to take a four day weekend and drive out to visit my old man’s place in the middle of fucking nowhere. Nothing but desert as far as you can see. It’s not Scottsdale, but the 80 degree weather and sun was sounding good. My old friend Brian has his first kid on the way and won’t be able to do anything for the next 20 years, so he decided to roll with me.

Northern California has been locked in cold and fog for over four weeks now and it followed us all the way to the lovely metropolis of Bakersfield. About one mile from the top of Tehachapi pass this shit clears and we have nothing but sun for the next three days. I need to move. Soon.

When you’ve been driving fog in a straight line for 300 miles, this sign looks to good to not have some fun.





We got off the freeway and tore up my tires for an hour or so. These are some of the best twistys I’ve found in a long time. No traffic and some killer off camber sweepers. The guard rails look like they’re from the 40’s which makes me think this might have been the old way through the mountains before 58 was built. Brian was pissed he didn’t bring his bike, at least he was pissed in till I reminded him that it was 42 degrees and foggy when we left.

After another 300 miles we get to our “destination”, which really isn’t a destination as much as the capital of the White Trash Nation. I’ve seen white trash hideouts all over the country, but nothing compares to this place. We find my dad’s shack, pick him up and take off to get some food. This place has a population of maybe 500 people and three bars! I guess the people that live in the desert like to drink. Good for them. I had to check out the bars of course. What did I find? Tequila! Good tequila! Lots of it! Holy shit, how do these people afford it? Corazon, El Tesoro and (drum roll) Cabo Wabo Blanco and Anejo! Odd, but they had no reposado. I was a little too burned out that night to drink but made a mental note to get a shot next time.

The next day was spent at Lake Havasu. This was my first visit and I gots to say this place kicks ass! The London Bridge in Arizona? I’ve heard of it of course, but once you see it, you really appreciate it. It’s like some Euro oasis in the middle of the Mohave. Lake Havasu City is now on my list of recommended places. Ever go there Gredge? It wasn’t spring break of course, but you can see how the party can start at this place. Here are some photos:








The next day we spent riding through the desert. You know, as fucked up as my dad is (and he is), I respect him for having the balls at his age to buy this thing and ride with no helmet, boots or jersey . He just doesn’t fucking care. Figures he’ll be dead in a year or so and just goes. He owns a bad ass Custom Softail as well. He didn’t let me ride that one. I did spend four or five hours on this though. 2005 Yamaha WR450F:



After riding, it was time for some Cabo Wabo Anejo at the white trash bar. Brian ordered a Pepsi since he’s a pussy. I ordered the Anejo and the bill came to $5.00. Yes, $5.00 for a double shot of Cabo Wabo Anejo and a Pepsi. WTF? I tipped her $5.00 so she could start saving for that new front tooth and went out back to eat. Later on I came into order another CW and she dumped the remainder of the bottle into my glass and told me it was on her. I wanted to tell her that it’s $13 per shot everywhere else, but why ruin it. She mentioned they also had a Corazon special of $2.00 per shot! I then talked her into giving me the bottle as a souveiner, tipped her another couple bucks and bolted for the long drive back in the morning.

Even with the massive combined intelligence of the three of us we couldn’t figure out the challenge of the time zone. We ended up setting our phone alarms (which automatically convert to AZ time) back instead of forward, which means we woke up at 2AM for the return trip. The plus side was I 40 was completely clear. I ran the car up to 125 MPH and started cruising. Around 4AM I notice a light miles up ahead over a slight rise and didn’t think too much about it. When we crested the next rise the lights were right in front of me. It was some asshole going the wrong direction in my lane. We had a closing speed of over 200 MPH. That’s the closest I’ve ever come to actually shitting my pants. I jerked the wheel just enough to clear this fuckwad and somehow kept the car in control. I did 80 or under the rest of the way home.

What did I learn? I still want to move, we need to go party at Havasu this summer, and even at 4am in the middle of nowhere shitty drivers still exist.